Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Magical World of Christmas Gifts


I gave my first gift this Christmas season. It was something I had never done before as a "civilian", and surprisingly it scared me. I had learned the importance of this gift and had even encouraged others to give it, yet I had not. Now that I have been in both positions I understand on a deeper level, the fear but also the excitement that comes from giving this gift.
I can still remember the day that I came to KNOW the importance of this gift. I had believed it for quite a while, but I didn't know, deep down I had doubts. One day I decided that if I was going to give people this gift, then I needed to know for myself. So, what do you know when you want to know? According to Moroni you must "ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."

What was the difference in my prayer this time from all the many other times? I had a sincere heart, I needed to know, and I was willing to give up everything I had, my schooling, job, family, money, all of it, if it were true.


I have learned in my life that often God answers our prayers through another person, in this particular time that person in my life was a man I had never met, Elder Echo Hawk. In his conference address from October 2012 he gave me a gift through sharing his testimony of a book. (You can read or listen to his message here https://www.lds.org/ ).
The moment I got to meet Elder Echo Hawk,
and thank him for
helping me gain my testimony!

In that moment everything changed for me, and I embarked on a journey to share with him the same gift that he shared with me. It became easy, part of my everyday life to talk about this book, a book that had truly changed my life. And every time I did I felt an immense appreciation for my Heavenly Father as well as for Elder Echo Hawk, for helping me to discover this gift.

Now, it has been a while since I have shared this gift with someone else, though I have wanted to. But today I did it. I wrote a note, explaining why this gift is so special to me, I wrapped it up, and I did it. I gave it away. And now I have no idea what is going to happen. I hope that she accepts the gift, that she gets as much from the gift as I have.

Even though it was scary, it was worth it. It felt great knowing that I did what I could to bring that hope into her life. So even though it's hard or intimidating, I get it! But I encourage you all to give a gift. not something bought from a store, but something that can change someones life! #HeistheGift
To learn more about my gift or to get this gift yourself check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment