Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Magical World of Rediscoveries



One of the best things about being a returned missionary is the opportunity to rediscover some things you use to love, rediscovering some part of yourself. It's kind of exhilarating and nostalgic. I like it. The past few weeks I feel like I have finally had time to reconnect to myself. It might have started when I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with an old friend, going to our old hangouts, just talking, just like old times.

Though things are different now, since of course I am different, some things just never change....like my love of cheap Mexican food!! I'm not talking Cafe Rio or even Beto's, but the really cheap stuff. Like 38 cent frozen burritos from Walmart! And chips and salsa!! Seriously, the Philippines is amazing, but they really need some Mexican food over there! Sometimes you don't realize what you have until it's gone, or you don't realize what your missing until you have it again.

The next rediscovery I had was only about an hour ago. I finished a book for the first time in a long time. Well, that's not exactly true. I have finished the Book of Mormon several times in the past few years, along with other church books or textbooks. But today was the first time I read a book that I could fall into the world of another character. For a few hours I got to walking the streets of New York going on an adventure, all while being in the comfort of my bed. And I had forgotten what it is like when you turn that last page and suddenly you know the adventure is over, yet your mind doesn't want to accept it. Your mind keeps turning the next pages which aren't actually there. Then with my analytical mind I started analyzing the themes in the book. The themes of sacrifice, giving up something for something more, being left behind, and moving on. And suddenly you realize that your life has been changed, even ever so slightly, by the story of another.

Another thing I have rediscovered this week is writing or more specifically blogging. On my mission I wrote in my journal religiously. Ask anyone of my companions, it was a daily goal of mine. And I enjoy it, writing in any form is good. I love getting my thoughts out on paper, it helps me to organize my thoughts. And journals are great, because they are private, just for me, and you know, so is the blog. I'm really not writing for anyone else, but there is something exciting about putting it out there. When I write, it is me. No facade. No masks. Pure Honesty. And putting a part of myself out where the world can see is scary, but it is also thrilling. So you, reading this, you are one of the few. And welcome to a small part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment